Detroit-based social entrepreneur, stylist and womenswear designer Paulina Petkoski shares her style tips and go-to spots to shop around Metro Detroit.
By Rachel Schostak
Photography by Hayden Stinebaugh
Paulina Petkoski is a Detroit-based social entrepreneur, stylist, womenswear designer and consultant. She has her BFA in International Fashion Design from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City and Polimoda International Institute of Design in Florence, Italy. Upon the debut of her thesis collection under direction of Mr. Calvin Klein, she was scouted by the Creative Director of Diane von Furstenberg’s design team, and worked for fashion brands including Isaac Mizrahi and Pamella Roland.
In 2009, she launched a sustainable luxury basics collection, Sosume, worn by eco-conscious celebrities Miranda Kerr and Natalie Imbruglia. Before relocating back to her hometown of Detroit, she worked for Rachel Roy as an Associate Designer. In 2016, her own designs were included in the exhibition, “Fashion D-Fined” at the Detroit Historical Museum. Her freelance editorial styling and consulting clients include Hour Media, Birmingham Magazine, Dbusiness, and Detroit Denim. She is also the founding Style Editor of Grand Circus Magazine, a biannual Detroit culture urbanism print magazine.
Petkoski is also the Co-founder of PLAYGROUND DETROIT. She is a key consultant and advisor to various creative entrepreneurs, artists and musicians and facilitates professional development as well as creating opportunities for them. Overseeing the organization, she is responsible for organizational strategy and execution, creating and maintaining relationships and fostering a community network between Detroit creative professionals to enable collaboration.
1. What do you love most about your community? I am constantly inspired being surrounded by others that are creatively talented and also very driven to make an impact on the city. There is a lot of love and support that flows between many young adults collaborating on projects together. I have had the opportunity to work on a wide range of creative projects from music videos to fashion editorials, to event planning.
2. Where do you like to shop? I have really reduced my consumption habits, especially after moving back to Detroit. I LOVE shopping at Value World and thrift stores, finding vintage treasures is my favorite hobby. Boro Resale & Consignment is a great new spot to shop at- I even sell my own items and vintage there as well. El Dorado General Store is an awesome vintage boutique in Corktown, and Detroit Is New The Black always has well-curated items; it’s nice being friends with these lovely ladies who operate these stores! TENDER and Found Objects in Birmingham are great places to find seasonal pieces and designer brands locally.
3. What do you love most about the holiday season? Having so many parties to dress up for, of course! And the hot toddies- I’m obsessed with them in the cold months.
4. 3 words to describe your style? Rock n’ roll / edgy / contemporary
5. One item you can’t leave home without…. My black leather jacket (any one of them…)
6. You’re never fully dressed without _____? Your smile and a killer pair of shoes.
7. Your “must have” items for fall/winter 2018? Suede or velvet accessories. Emerald green is my favorite color at the moment.
9. Who or what inspires your style? I’m inspired by the items I encounter when I’m thrifting. I don’t look at too many runway shows anymore, but I’m always inspired by brands/designers that include Saint Laurent, Stella McCartney, Gucci under new creative director Alessandro Michele, Maison Margiela, Reformation, Acne Studios, Discount Universe…
10. Favorite quote or words to live by? “I believe in excess…” Jim Morrison
Shop Paulina’s Look:
SHOP: Black leather jacket (shop similar), Paulina Petkoski, Faux fur/wool vest (shop similar), Rachel Roy, Diane von Furstenberg leather pants, SMPLFD vintage t-shirt, Dolce Vita heels (shop similar), Shinola The Birdy watch.