Artist Marlo Broughton’s work was featured around the Motor City when he created movie posters for the film “Detroit” released last summer. He tells SEEN about his artwork.
By Stephanie Steinberg
Photography by Justin Milhouse
Name: Marlo Broughton
Artist name: Marlobro
1. How long have you been in Detroit or Metro Detroit?
Born and raised.
2. What age did you start doing art?
4 or 5.
3. What medium do you typically work with?
Acrylic and interior paint.
4. How would you describe your artwork?
5. Where do you find inspiration?
Traveling and life experience.
6. What’s one of your favorite pieces you’ve made?
“Detroit” movie banners for Playground Detroit that were installed around the city.
7. Who’s one of your favorite Detroit artists?
8. Who’s one of your favorite artists?
9. If you could collaborate with any artist (dead or alive) on a painting, who would it be and why?
Leonardo da Vinci because he was an inventor.
10. Where can we find your work?
11. Do you have any upcoming shows?
I’ll be participating in Murals in the Market in September.
12. What’s something others may not know about you?
I went to school to study industrial design at Wayne State University.
Read about more emerging artists in SEEN’s Art Issue.