Ashley Robinson shares her personal style tips, go-to spots around town, and the inspiration behind her blog So Then There Were 3.
By Rachel Schostak
Featured photo (above) by Rosaria Giambanco
1. When did you decide to start a blog? What is your blog about? I decided to start my blog when I was pregnant with my son Declan. It was my first real pregnancy and I was scared. I wanted to put my thoughts, my fears, and questions I had out on a platform. I also spoke about my many frustrations and dislike for the maternity fashions, like I still wanted to look cute! And poof… So then there were 3 was created.
2. Who is your reader? I think it is anyone who likes fashion, and wants to feel good about themselves no matter where they are in life. I think style is a personal journey for everyone and people like to look good and feel good.
3. What motivated you to move back to Michigan and what do you enjoy most about being “ home?” I feel like it’s a full circle moment for me moving back here. Coming back from NYC with my husband and son, we are here to create a life for ourselves. It’s very nostalgic for me and it just feels right. I also really missed my family.
4. How long have you been working at Tender and what do you enjoy most about it? I have been working at Tender for a little less than a year now. I LOVE the fashion and it doesn’t feel like work because I am doing something that I am passionate about.
5. 1 word to describe your style? Fresh
6. Accessory or possession you can’t leave home without? My wedding rings and a bracelet my son gave me on mothers day, that simply says, “I love you to the moon and back”. I say that to him everyday.
8. Is there something in your style that is always consistent? My style is always moving forward, and I am always myself. I make sure that always stays the same.
9. Best style advice you’ve ever received? Own it. Whatever you wear, own it.
10. Where do you find fashion + style inspiration? I am always spotting new trends and inspiration. Whether I am in the city at a fashion event, out to eat with my husband, working with the fabulous ladies at Femology, or seeing the fashionable people coming into Tender!
11. Who inspires your style? Do you have a style icon? I inspire myself everyday.
12. Favorite upcoming trend for Fall 2017? Vintage Inspired Furs/Coats
13. A Fall splurge that is worth the investment? What’s your best style splurge tip? A pair of amazing leather boots. I am craving a pair of Robert Clergerie croc leather boots, and Golden Goose Sneakers. My style splurge tip is mixing moderately priced items with a luxury indulgence. I love high-low dressing.
14. Is there a certain trend this fall season – we CAN do without? This is not a trend, although it is something that we can do without…leggings.
15. Do you believe in switching out your wardrobe for each season? A majority of my clothes are seasonless. I make sure of that!
16. Can you share how you find the balance between your blog and professional life? That’s such a great question. I wish I could give you a great answer for that. To be very transparent I am still trying to find a balance!
17. Local love list… a few local boutiques or places you love in your neighborhood or around metro Detroit? Tender of course. Revive for my husband, Detroit is the New Black, and Detroit Garden Works!
18. What do you love about Detroit? Please share any go-to spots for lunch/dinner, activities or just relaxing… So many to list! I love the enchantment of Belle Isle. The Ten Nail Bar in Detroit for killer mani/pedis, Grey Ghost and The Royce Detroit are a must! Also, last but def not least Takoi, welcome back!!! And for relaxing I love the Beach House Day Spa in Birmingham, they give the most amazing facials and massages. Detroit has been going through such a renaissance, its such a beautiful time to be here!
19. “Pump up Jam” or music currently listing to on your personal playlist? So I am very into lounge music like Goldroom and their song Silhouette, or anything Black Coffee does. And then there are those days when I need to put on some Jay Z to get my mind together to conquer the world!
20. Who are your go-to’s on the ‘gram? Bridjet Morris @bridjetp, Kela Walker @kelawalker, Kahlana Barfield Brown @kahlanabarfield, LaLa Trips @lalatrips, Michelle Lee @heymichellelee, LAM Style @lamstyle_, and Blondwalk @gittabanko, just to name a few!
21. Favorite quote or words to live by? Good clothes open all doors.