According to the National Restaurant Association, around a quarter of Americans will dine out for Valentine’s Day, making it the second most popular day to dine out on throughout the year. However, according to researcher Arthur Aron from UC Santa Cruz, the best way to keep the spark alive in your relationship is to try new experiences together.
To avoid the annual Valentine’s Day rut many find themselves in, we have gathered together 10 Valentine’s Day date ideas you wouldn’t normally expect to keep things interesting for you and your partner.
- Take an Improv Class: Laughter is the best medicine. Get out of your comfort zone and take an improv workshop or class together. Not only will you share some laughs, but in the process, you’ll learn to be a better listener and communicate more effectively. The process will bring you closer together. Go Comedy in Ferndale offers both classes and workshops for all levels. They even have a special show on Valentine’s Day, which includes dinner, dessert and champagne! Buy tickets here.
- Dancing Lessons: Ballroom dancing will get you on your feet and into each other’s arms. Arthur Murray in Royal Oak has a special guest night at their studio for beginners or you can sign up for private lessons.
- Cooking Class: Learn some new skills in the kitchen and enjoy a gourmet meal together. Mirepoix Cooking School at Holiday Market in Royal Oak has a special date night cooking class for all skill levels. Reserve now before the class fills up.
- Wine Stroll or Wine Tasting: Sampling unique and exotic wines together is a sure-fire way to get in the mood for love. The Detroit Experience Factory is offering Wine Stroll on February 11th, or head to the Birmingham Wine Shop on Valentine’s Day for an in-store wine tasting.
- Drag Queen Bingo: Drag Queen Bingo is an audience-participation Comedy Show with a drag queen entertainer in downtown Royal Oak. It is hands-down one of the most fun things to do in Metro Detroit. Book tickets for shows Thursday – Sundays here.
- The Lion King: The Tony award-winning musical has returned to The Detroit Opera House and is guaranteed to blow you away with incredible music and costumes. Tickets available here.
- Ice-skating: Like dancing, taking a trip around the rink will give you a reason to hold hands or wrap your arms around one another. Afterwards, head to a bar or restaurant to warm up with a spiked hot cocoa or Irish coffee. Head to the Campus Martius Park Rink for skating under the stars.
- Night at the Museum: Learning about something new at a science exhibit or thought-provoking art collection will inspire new conversations and remind you why you fell in love.
- Water Park Weekend: Water parks aren’t just for kids. Grab your bathing suits and head up to Zehnders Splash Village in Frankenmuth for a weekend of pure fun. Water slides, hot tubs, and incredible chicken dinners. Trust me, your partner will be impressed that you thought of something so outside the Valentine’s Day box.
- Bombowling or Fowling: Try a new game that combines bowling with football. The Hub in Auburn Hills just opened with 16 lanes, or you can head to downtown Detroit to The Fowling Warehouse.
Happy Valentine’s Day!